Sunday, April 18, 2010

Assignment #6 Social Bookmarking

Just love it! Absolutely love it! I have used the traditional (out of date) Favorites on my web browser for years and it is so exhausting when you have 246 sites marked. I am constantly moving things around to organize the list, deleting to make some stand out more readily--but then adding more to the list because I have found another site that JUST HAS TO BECOME part of my list. Who knows, I may read them all some day.
It is like becoming a hoarder but with websites not physical items. :-)

This is a great tool for teaching and sharing with others. I like the fact you can come up with your own verbage for tags too. A very useful site.

Specifically: Del.icio.us
Like that you do not have to have an account; it's a choice.
Went to the site; scrolled down to find an interesting piece "Volcano That Shut Down Europe"; clicked on this a couple times; found 3 tags: volcano, saved, history. History was the best tag; history took me to some awesome pics of the volcano billowing smoke and I watched a video on You Tube available through another site that I accessed directly from the delicious site. Read some comments made by others and was able to reply to their comments too. Neat stuff!
http://delicious.com/
Direct Access to the Volcano:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/18/volcano-shut-down-europe-pics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29
Created my own Del.icio.us account and added 2 urls. Find me at...
http://delicious.com/yelp.ette1965
My Tag: dachshund;
Tags from others who access my chosen site: dachshund; pet; dog; dallas

Technorati:
Blogs relating to “icelandic volcano” (0 blogs found out of 1186673)
Posts relating to “icelandic volcano” (123)
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/04/iceland-volcano-eruption-forces.html
Great pics, You Tube and basic info.
Popular Tags: Interesting to note that volcano and iceland (ic) were not in the list for the month.

Future of Libraries: Totally different from what we have always known.
If you don't keep up with the constant changes you will be lost in a society taken over by technology and technology users.

No comments:

Post a Comment